User roles are in essence a set of rights. You can use roles to easily define all the rights you want for each user, instead of selecting them one by one for each institute. You also need user roles if you want to hide parts of the eCRF for certain users.
Create and edit user roles
- Go to the 'Users' tab.
- Click on 'Edit roles' in the top right corner. Three pre-existing roles are defined in Castor that reflect the common rights assigned to users:
- Admin: has rights for most actions.
- Data-entry: only has rights to add records, view them, and edit data.
- Monitor: only has rights to view data and create queries.
- You can edit these existing roles by simply checking or un-checking the right that you want to give or remove for one of the roles. These changes will be automatically saved.
You can also create new user roles by clicking on the 'Add role' button. Specify a name in the popup and press 'Create role' to add the role. Assign the rights to your newly created role by selecting the rights. The rights will be automatically saved.
Assign roles to users
Roles are specific for each institute, so one user can have different roles for different institutes.
- To assign a role to a user for a certain institute, first double click the user or click on the cogwheel to edit their rights and roles.
- Click on the user role ('None' is selected by default) next to an institute and select a new role from the dropdown.
Note: You can also make additional changes here if you wish. For example, you can assign the role 'data entry' to a user, but you can add also randomization right for that user for one institute. That will not change the overall 'data entry' role you had previously defined, but will add the randomization right for that user for that institute.
- Click on Save.