In the 'Users' tab, double clicking on a user's name or clicking the cogwheel icon in the 'Action' column provides an overview of the assigned rights for the selected user.
Rights in Castor are assigned on the institute level. That means that a user can have different rights in one or multiple institutes.
- User rights can be edited for each institute listed in the left-most column.
- You can choose one of the pre-defined roles or create your own roles to assign rights quickly and to blind parts of the CRF.
- The record rights for the selected user per institute, which are as follows:
- Add: Allows the user to add new records and to add reports to a record.
- View: Allows the user to view created records.
- Edit: Allows the user to enter and edit data in a record.
- Email: Allows the user to view and/or edit the stored email address within a record or within a survey invitation. Note: To be able to edit a record email address it is also necessary to have Edit rights.
- Rand. (randomize): Allows the user to randomize records. Note: This was formerly combined with the 'View randomization' right, so all users who could randomize a record would also be able view the randomization. This has since been split into separate rights to allow for double-blinded randomization.
- View rand. (view randomization): Allows the user to view the randomization allocation for a record.
- Sign: Allows the user to digitally sign study forms.
- Lock: Allows the user to lock records, preventing further data entry.
- Verify: Allows the user to do source data verification of data entry.
- Query: Allows the user to create and close queries (used for monitoring).
- Archive: Allows the user to archive records.
- Export: Allows the user to export data.
- Send surveys: Allows the user to create and send survey invitations as well as create and manage groups for bulk invites.
- View surveys: Allows the user to view and enter survey data
- Encrypt: Allows users to view and edit encrypted data.
- Click the 'Save' button to save changes. Alternatively, click 'Close' to discard any changes and return to the 'User' overview.
Note: Users with institute rights only can enter a study if it is live.
The management rights are advanced rights for users that are managing the study, in contrast to only performing data entry. Open the 'User rights' dialog window by double clicking on the user's name or by clicking the cogwheel icon in the action column next to a user. To change the management rights, click the 'Management rights' tab at the top:
- Management rights can be changed using the Yes/No radio buttons next to the specific management right. The management rights are as follows:
- Records: If a user has the 'Manage Records' right, they will see the 'Records' and 'Surveys' tab, as well as the 'Statistics' tab, which shows an overview of the inclusions in the study. The exact data the user can access depends on the specific institute rights. For example, a user who needs to view the records for 'Institute X' will need to have 'Manage Records' and 'View' rights for 'Institute X'.
- Form: Allows the user access to study management tab 'Form' (the Form Builder).
- Users: Allows the user access to study management tab 'Users'.
- Settings: Allows the user access to study management tab 'Settings'.
- Note: To view the Audit Trail, all management rights must be enabled.
- Click 'Save' to save the changes, or 'Close' to discard changes, and return to the 'User' overview.
Adding users and managing their rights:
Watch the video walk-through on Castor Academy