You can find this manual item also in our workshop. Click here to view the workshop video.
Export the form structure
The 'export' function can be used to download a copy of your study forms so you can reuse them in other studies or share them with colleagues.
1. To start with exporting the structure of the form, go to the 'Structure' tab and click the 'Export' button.
2. Select the steps, phases, reports or surveys that you want in the export. You can export the whole study, report or survey by clicking on the relevant folder. In the example below, 'Study' is selected:
3. Click 'Export Selection' to export the structure to a XML file. After clicking 'Export Selection', the download will start immediately and the exported file will be saved in the default download folder.
Import the form structure
You can use the exported files to import the forms into another study or copy structures. Only XML or ZIP files can be used for importing forms.
1. To start importing a structure file, click the 'Import' button.
2. Click the 'Browse' button to select the .zip or .xml file containing the structure from your computer's files. Click the 'Upload' button to upload the structure to Castor.
3. If you import an element of which the position matters, dropdown menus will appear where you must select where you want to insert the element. Once a position is selected, click 'Continue import' to continue importing the structure.
4. When importing a report structure, it is strongly advised to check that all reports have a unique name, as duplicate names may cause confusion and errors when collecting and exporting the data.
5. When the import from the zip or xml file is successful, you can find your imported elements in the position you specified in the previous step. If the imported items don't appear directly in the interface, re-opening the study should resolve this.
Note - when trying to import a form structure, if you see that the 'Browse' button is unavailable/greyed out, that means that a file was previously uploaded but was not imported. To continue, remove the previously uploaded file using the 'Remove file' button. Once removed, you can proceed to add and import the new file.
Importing the same structure
In some cases it might be necessary to copy the same phase into the same study. In this case all the variable names will cleared since the variable names should be unique across the entire study. This can be solved by copying separate steps into the new phase and selecting the necessary variable prefix, suffix or replacing the variable.