In Castor, surveys are sent out by creating survey invitations. In order to continue you must first have created a survey and a survey package. Surveys are always sent in the form of survey packages, even if the package consists of only one survey.
In this tutorial you will learn how to send out survey invitations to a single record or to multiple records at once.
Send out individual surveys
To send a survey to a single participant, first enter the Record for that participant by navigating to the Records tab and double-clicking on the record of interest (or clicking the eye icon). Within the record, navigate to the Surveys tab and click on 'Create survey invitation':
A dialog window will appear - in here, you are required to select the survey package you want to send and other details of the invitation:
- Select the survey package you want to send.
- Add the email of the participant if this hasn't been previously added to the record (please note: this email address will not be saved in the record). If the email was already added in the record itself, it will be automatically extracted and this section will be pre-filled with the email address. To view the address, you will need to authenticate yourself again with your password and this viewing will be logged in the audit trail.
- Select a phase/report of your study, if you want to attach the survey to a certain phase or report. This is optional.
- The subject of the email that the participant will receive.
- The text of the email that the participant will receive will be drawn from your survey package settings. You can modify these here, if you wish.
- Check this box if you want the survey to be locked after finishing. This is convenient if you want to prevent further changes being made when the subject finishes the survey.
- Select when you want to send the survey. You have three options:
Now - the email invitation will be sent immediately after saving
Decide later - the invitation will be created but will not be sent. You will be able to define the date of sending later.
On a specific date or schedule - you can select a specific date when you want the survey to be sent or you can define a schedule in case you want to send the same package repetitively. You can learn more about survey schedules here.
Make sure to save the survey invitation to use it or pick cancel to exit this dialog.
Send out mass survey invitations
Mass survey invites are sent out using the following method:
- Creating a record group comprised of multiple records and,
- Sending out survey invitations to the records in that group.
Create a new record group
To create a group of records that you want to send your survey(s) to go to the Survey tab click on Manage groups in the top right corner of the survey tab:
This will open a Groups overview dialog, where you can select "Add group" to add a new group, or "Manage records in group" to modify the records in an already created group. To create a new group, click on the Add group button, enter a group name and description, and then click on Create group.
Only records that have an associated email address can be added to a survey group. Ensure that you've already created records and that they have attached email addresses.
Select the available records you want to add, then click on the right arrow to add them to the group. You can use the Shift or Ctrl keyboard keys to select multiple records at once with the mouse pointer. You can also use the Filter records option, which works on a 'starts with' basis, so you can for example filter all records that start with the digits 00 to leave out 11:
Create a mass survey invitation
Navigate to the Surveys tab and select Create a survey invitation:
Select the survey package you want to send and the record group you just created in the pop-up. You can also choose to edit the record group by clicking on the Edit groups button, if you want to see which records are in that group and if you want to change that:
Fill in the rest of the survey package invitation fields, then send out the invitation. You can select a date for when the surveys will be sent or define a schedule for repetitive sending of the survey. You've now sent out a mass survey invitation to the records you selected. You might also want to look at our Automation Engine for the possibility of automatic sending of surveys based on certain conditions.